Each Channel Island Christmas Lottery ticket has two numbers on it. To determine if you’ve won you need to manually compare these again the 66 numbers picked in the prize draw.
If you have multiple tickets, this can take a long time and is open to human error. We decided to harness technology to find a quicker and more accurate solution.
1. We needed to find a way to quickly read the numbers printed on the tickets.
2. We wanted the barriers to usage to be as low as possible
3. Up to a million tickets would be checked over just a couple of days.
1. We used Google’s AI technology to scan a photo of the ticket and detect the numbers
2. We chose a Progressive Web App (PWA) which works within your phone’s browser and does not need to be installed from an app store.
3. We used flexible hosting that allows resources to be increased and charged hourly to allow for spikes in use.